CURRICULUM VITÆ (versione italiana)
Marco Mezzalama holds a Master in Electronic Engineering (1972) and has been a full professor of Computer Engineering at the Politecnico di Torino since 1986 . He is Vice-Rector for ICT projects and strategies and President of the Center for Telecommunications and Computer Services (that is in charge of the ICT systems for the Politecnico di Torino. From 2001 to 2005, he has been Deputy Rector of Politecnico di Torino.
From 2001 he is national member of Academy of Science, Turin section.
Author of more than 150 papers, including several books, he was and is rewiever for several international and national magazines and conference proceedings, among which Guest editor of IEEE Procedings. In the last 20 years, he also acts as rewiever of several scientific and industrial research projects in the national and European contest.
His scientific interests concern several sectors of computer science and engineering, ranging from computer architecture and arithmetics, to computer networks, design and testing of VLSI circuits, digital signal processing, and computer security.
Significant his activities in computer security theory and applications. He was the first reseacher in Italy to discuss and treat computer viruses and worms. He founded and leads a research group in the field of computer security. This group has taken and is taking part in the several projects funded by the European Commission.
Mezzalama was Director of the DEMOSTENE project (DEMOnstrator of Security TEchnology in a Networked Environment), funded by CNR (the Italian research council) for the study of security architectures for the Italian public administration bodies. Mezzalama frequently acts as a technical support in law enforcement operations related to computer crimes and is a consultant with AIPA, now CNIPA (the Italian authority for informatics in the public administration) about digital signature, security policies and e-commerce.
In the last decade his reasearch activities were oriented both to multimedia applications and specifically to e-learning and sw architecture where he paid attention to n-tier e web based systems.
He has been Coordinator at national level of a project for increase dematerialization and digital services in the university context. The project is supported by Italian Presidence of Council.
He is/ was Member of several scientific committee and managing boards, among which:
- The Research Institute for ICT "Mario Boella" (www.ismb.it)
- The Research Institute "CSP - Innovazione nelle ICT" - which is the Information Society Technologies innovation and research centre for Piedmont’s public administrations (www.csp.it)
- The NETTUNO Consortium. It is a public non profit association of Universities and enterprises promoted in 1992 by the University and Scientific and Technological Research Ministry to realize Distance University Courses. Netturo supports the International Telematic University UNINETTUNO which provides via broadcasting and internet a list of University Degrees (www.uninettuno.it)
- The Torino Wireless Foundation, which promotes the growth of the ICT District in Piemonte, in synergy with the other local players (www.torinowireless.it)
- The CSI Piemonte, a public Consortium that provides ICT technologies, platforms and applicationns to Piedmont’s public administrations and promotes e-gov development (www.csipiemonte.it)
- TOP-IX (TOrino Piemonte Internet eXchange), a non-profit consortium set up in 2002 with the aim of creating and managing a NAP (Neutral Access Point, otherwise known as Internet Exchange - IX) for the exchange of Internet traffic in North West Italy (www.topix.it)
- Innogest SGR S.p.A., an iniziative specialized in the promotion and management of funds characterized by innovation (www.innogest.it)
- Compagnia di San Paolo, one of the largest private-law foundations in Europe (set up in January 1563). The revenues generated by its assets, among which those coming from Intesa San Paolo bank, are used in order to foster the civil, cultural and economic development of the community in which it operates (www.compagniadisanpaolo.it)
- Reply. One of the most important IT company in Italy and Europe (www.reply.it)
- IREN. Iren is one of the largest and most dynamic multiutility companies on the Italian scene and operates in the sectors of electricity, thermal energy for district heating and gas, and in the management of integrated water services, environmental services and technological services (www.gruppoiren.it)
In the last three academic years he teach "Introduction to computer science" (first level degree - bachelor), "Computer Architecture” (second level degree - master) and "Advanced computer architectures" (Ph.D. level)